Google+ LISTENING TO THE SQUEAK INSIDE art by Kirstin McCulloch of LilliBean Designs: ☆ Haunt [illustration friday]

Monday, October 29, 2012

☆ Haunt [illustration friday]


Have you ever had one of your creative ideas just haunt you?

Almost two years ago, I had an idea for a painting. I loved the idea of a powerful woman, with long black hair, who knew here own inner power. (I think at the time I was trying to claim my own inner power.)


 So my sketch, in my head,  became a yellow eyed, black haired woman, and she was called Raven.

About six months later I felt brave enough to try and paint Raven. But it didn't work. I just couldn't translate the sketch and the image in my head to canvas.


Her yellow eyes looked like crap (so I changed them to green) the feathers didn't look right, her hair didn't move the way I had envisioned, the collaged robe, never felt right. Seriously, I hated her. And I remember there were a few tears of pure frustration.

So I packed the canvas away in a cupboard and there it sits to this day. (One day I will repurpose it I guess...)

Fast forward to a year and a half later.

And 'Raven' was still haunting me, I still wanted to capture her in paint, and I was feeling brave again. And so I started to paint her - very tentatively. 

'RAVEN'
ORIGINAL MIXED MEDIA PAINTING FOR SALE HERE
PRINTS OR POSTCARDS AVAILABLE ALSO

And I through persevering with 'Raven' I learned a few things about myself. 

I learned that a really crappy painting isn't going to send me into a tail spin of self doubt and self loathing any more, which in the past would lead to weeks (or years) of not creating. 

I learned that sometimes you need to have a bit more experience to fully translate a spark of an idea. And that is ok.

And I learned that sometimes you need to put an idea away for a while, and let the spark grow and mature a little more.

She has become one of my favourite paintings of 2012!

So have you had an idea that has ignited you, that has haunted you? Are you still letting it grow? Or have you attempted to capture the spark? I would love to hear your stories.

6 comments :

  1. I like Raven in all her stages. It's good to grow and change. She is powerful and strong. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Juniper - I think that's what I really love about this painting - she has grown and changed (+ I have too!) x

      Delete
  2. I love her Kirstin, I like that she looked strong and haunted in the beginning, then looked a bit confused in the middle stage, but now looks confident and at peace, which would reflect the way you felt. Well done, how satisfying for you :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Liza - I think you summed it up beautifully! x

      Delete
  3. She's gorgeous!!! It's so obvious that you have grown alongside her!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a moment to leave me a comment. I love hearing your ideas and thoughts. I will often respond to your comments here, so please check back for a response. x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...