Google+ LISTENING TO THE SQUEAK INSIDE art by Kirstin McCulloch of LilliBean Designs: ☆ Sketchbook Bliss

Thursday, February 2, 2012

☆ Sketchbook Bliss

Three Muses
©2012 Kirstin McCulloch
So I seem to have been struck by the creativity bug this week and I am in sketchbook bliss.

I am drawn to black hair beauties at the moment. Black hair is such a challenge, it's hard to add tone and texture. Sometimes my black hair is a bit monotone.

But I am loving this sketchbook. I have some how given myself permission (with out really thinking about it or verbalising it) to explore and be freer with my brush.

Usually my sketches are very detailed before I paint. In this book, I have a few lines as a guide, and go with my instinct. 

Loving. It.




Do you have a journal that you can be free in, that it doesn't matter if you stuff up? One which you a free to be imperfect? 

I would love to hear how your stories of sketching bliss.





©2012 Kirstin McCulloch
©2012 Kirstin McCulloch

9 comments :

  1. They look gorgeous! I actually don't like sketching in too many details. Just some lines to know where it all goes when I paint. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Natasha. I found it really hard at first to just use a few outlines - so different to how I usually work!

      Delete
  2. lovely! i love the reflections in their eyes! thank you for sharing,
    hugs, peggy aplSEEDS

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Your painting are absolutely gorgeous. I love them, especially their eyes! I tend to have a tiny moleskine that I keep in my handbag to sketch things that I see or record ideas for paintings that I have on the go. Otherwise I just use a small visual diary to do a sketch before a painting, or if it's not complex, just sketch it directly on the canvas. I have a bit of trouble doing art journalling and things like that... I wish I could but I can't seem to be 'free' enough to do it. Comes with being a perfectionist I think.

    Ellie - www.thesheepladystudio.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ellie! I have a tiny moleskine that I cary around too. (I am a bit of a moleskine fiend. I have sketch books in all sizes!) At first I found it really hard to let go, but I am pleased I kept trying. I still don't think I am as 'free' as some of the amazing art journalists out there, but I have progressed - Danny Gregory's books really helped with my perfectionist issues! Cheers, Kirstin

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous girls! What fabulous eyes!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful - Love their expressive eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're black haired beauties are wonderful, purpe play is the best. xox Corrine

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a moment to leave me a comment. I love hearing your ideas and thoughts. I will often respond to your comments here, so please check back for a response. x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...